Sunday, April 29, 2012

Girls

Sometimes you just need a little girl time.  Especially when you live in a house of boys.  This weekend was kinda crazy with Carter's first birthday on Saturday and a huge list of things to do, but I managed two girl dates.  Whenever I have some quality time with my girlfriends, it reminds me of how important it is to take a little "me" time every now and then.  I always come home feeling refreshed and ready to take on my crazy life. If I spent time with these women on a daily basis I would have abs of steel; we laugh the entire time we are together.

Saturday night we went out to celebrate Jamie & Zara's birthday at Darcelle's.  If you have never been to Darcelle's in Portland, you need to make a special trip.  It is an institution. It is fantastic. Darcelle is an 81 year old drag queen who looks better in a spandex suit than most 30 year old women.  We had three rows of laughing, dancing, singing girls watching men who not only dance better than we can (okay, maybe not better than Jamie) but also dress better too.  It is part comedy show, part musical theater, part craziness.  It is completely inappropriate and completely fabulous.

Tonight we had our monthly book club meeting. This month we happened to read a new, extremely popular title which is based partly in Vancouver and Portland.  If you haven't heard of Fifty Shades of Grey you probably don't watch TV, or listen to the radio, or go on Facebook, or read magazines, or talk to anyone.  It is everywhere.  Everyone is talking about it - Ellen did a bit last week on her show that was hilarious. It is the NAUGHTIEST book I have ever read. I am not joking. And, as a librarian, I have read A LOT of books. I can blush just thinking about it. I dare you to google it if you haven't heard of it; you will blush too.

Needless to say, tonight's book club was awesome!!  Like Darcelle's, it was completely inappropriate and yet completely fabulous. I laughed and laughed and laughed and then laughed some more.  I love these girls. They inspire me, love me, support me, and let me just be me.  I look forward to our girl dates. I am thankful for them and our time together; it is ALWAYS fabulous (and possibly always a little bit inappropriate).  

1 comment: